School Mediation - Prevention of Violence in Multiethnic Schools in Vojvodina is an educational project jointly implemented by Nansen Dialogue Centre Serbia and two partner organisations Civic Fund Panonija from Novi Sad and Association for Creative Communication and Debate (ACCD) from Belgrade. The project is financially supported by the Royal Norwegian Embassy in Belgrade.
Goal of the project: to build teachers' and students' capacities for the prevention of violence in multiethnic communities in Vojvodina in line with the priorities that have been defined by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of the Republic of Serbia. The most important priorities of a continuous professional improvement of teachers are: prevention of violence, abuse and neglect; prevention of discrimination and development of communication skills and strengthening of employees' professional capacities, particularly in the area of innovative teaching methods and running classes. The realisation of the project has been supported by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of the Republic of Serbia and the Provincial Secretariat for Education, Administration and National Communities of AP Vojvodina.
The schools participating in the project are:
PS "Nikola Tesla" (Novi Sad)
PS "Petőfi Sándor" (Novi Sad)
PS "Miloje Čiplić" (Novi Bečej)
PS "Kokai Imre" (Temerin)
PS "Jan Čajak" (Bački Petrovac)
PS "2.oktobar" (Nikolinci)
Creating a safe school environment is an important task towards which students and teachers must work together in order to do it successfully.
- Accredited professional trainings for teachers, students, pedagogues and school principals in the field of dialogue and constructive conflict resolution skills and techniques;
- Accredited professional trainings for teachers, students, pedagogues and school principals in the field of school mediation;
- Workshop on the implementation of the Law on Education and the Protocol for the Prevention of Violence in schools featuring representatives of the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of the Republic of Serbia, Provincial Secretariat for Education, Administration and National Communities of AP Vojvodina, local school authorities from the five municipalities and the principals of the schools participating in the project;
- Establishing of school mediation mechanisms in the schools participating in the project;
- Round table on the implementation of the Law on Education and on school mediation as a technique for non-violent conflict resolution.
Mediation is a way of solving conflicts and overcoming disagreements in which a neutral, third party or parties act as mediators between the conflicted parties.
Through seminars, teachers and students will acquire concrete skills for constructive conflict resolution and will cooperate through activities that encourage interethnic dialogue and cooperation.
The schools that participate in the project will also take part in the regional arts competition on the occasion of marking 21 September, the International Day of Peace, which is organized by NDC Serbia within the Global Partnership for the Prevention of Armed Conflict in the Western Balkan.
The schools participating in the project will have an opportunity to exchange experiences and news via joint website.